Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trapt and Scrappin'

Happy National Scrap booking month everyone!! Yesterday was national scrap booking day and I devoted a majority of my day to scrappin' in celebration there of. I've been avoiding organizing some of my trinkets and baubles that have been sadly piling up in a tote in the middle of my floor. My poor cramped room seemed to get smaller and smaller. In honor of NSD I decided to get off my ever growing behind and get hot (as my scrappy friend frequently says). Not only did I organize but I also took a Ustream class over at Swirlydoos with some of my swirlygirlies and we had a riot! Imagine our shock when we were told to get our hands on mousetraps!! Yes mousetraps!!

I wasn't prepared so instead I just started grabbing whatever was on my desk at the time and started altering. 
It looks a lot like the ATC's from my video because that is the stuff that happened to be on my desk at the time...lol. This one is backed with a polka dot patterned paper from MME Lost and found collection and decoupaged with the same napkin that is in my prior tutorial. The mouse trap is now a refrigerator magnet! I KNOW RIGHT?! There is a big ol magnet on the back and the spring loaded bar is a clip!! So you can clip your stuff to the magnet!! Now if you are anything like me, the clips that I have bought in the past do not hold. The stuff slides out or the magnet won't hold. You can attach a rare metals magnet purchased at the hardware and voila! a super strong magnet with an awesome clip and looks cute too.

Ok...so I got a little better...
I bought a Tim Holtz distress stain last year in dusty concord #1 so that I could play with the stain and see if I liked it and #2 so that I would use more purple. These are some old CM stickers that my GF was getting rid of. I thought they went nicely. I learned, however, that the red label on the wood does not get covered by the stain (um Hello?! that's why I covered the butterfly in the stain...cuz I knew this already) so the red peeks through a bit...OK...live and learn. Also, I put my pearls on and THEN tried putting the trap back together. Big mistake. I shmeared the pearls all over the place and had to improvise. Plus the sticker got ripped. Ok...lesson 2...embellish more AFTER you put it back together.

Third was the best but still learning....
This one is my fave. It's Alice in Wonderland...look closely to see Alice. I didn't wait long enough for the pigment ink to dry and I think next time I will emboss the stamp before covering with the stain. I made the flowers from my waffle cookbook using the Time Holtz tattered florals die, covered in faded jeans distress ink, sprayed with TA glimmer mist in aquamarine, and used the harlequin texture folder by Sissix. The key hole is a fragment left over from some odd size chipboard previously used. Again, it was just lying on my desk so hey...why not.  I painted in teal and covered with Martha Stewart glitter in Hematite. This time I did the pearls afterward and added the bling to her crown. 

I only have one more trap left but sadly I cannot take the time now to alter it...cuz I gotta pack for MEGA MEET!!! Wahoo!! I can't wait. Hopefully I'll have lots to share when I get back. 

Later gator,
Andiepants

No comments:

Post a Comment